The bougu (防具) is a form of armor used in training and competition for kendo and other Japanese weapons-based martial arts. It's composed of four parts:
- Men (面): Combined face mask & shoulder protection.
- Kote (小手): Hand and forearm protection, usually with a mitten-like glove.
- Dou (胴): A breastplate for chest & stomach protection.
- Tare (垂): A belt of heavy cloth flaps to protect the groin and waist. The center flap often has a place for the name of who the competitor is representing.
Practitioners of naginatajutsu also wear:
- Sune-ate (すね当て): Shin-guards.
- List of armor
- Wikipedia (English): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bōgu.
- Wikipedia (Japanese): http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/防具_(剣道).