DeviantArt is a website where most Western artists upload their work. It serves as another major source of images on Danbooru.
This page will describe how to upload from DeviantArt, in addition to how to handle new artist entries in the case an entry doesn't already exist for the artist you're uploading a work from.
Here's the ideal procedure when uploading a DeviantArt artist:
1. Upload with the danbooru bookmarklet, or paste in the URL of the work you wish to upload in the upload page. This way, you don't have to upload the image from your computer and risk it being an image sample. For more technical details, you may expand the following:
Upload from DeviantArt (not from your computer) with the full image URL if possible. On the right side, there should be a link to the URL labeled "Download". If it's not there, zoom into the picture as much as possible and copy the image URL from there.
Since Danbooru supports direct linking to the image URL, the source URL should look like one of the following:
Or if the original source URL cannot be accessed for whatever reason (that is, when the download button will not be present):
DeviantArt has reduced-size versions of its images known as deviantart samples, none of which should be uploaded here. Your source URL should not look like these:
2. Use the artist tag detected by Danbooru under Related Tags, if there is one. If not, follow the rest of this howto to create a new artist tag.
- Do a source:*username* search for the DeviantArt username. The username is usually found in image source URL. For example, search source:*shirononochiko* if the source URL is http://orig00.deviantart.net/e1d7/f/2013/096/7/2/nonexistent_work_by_shirononochiko-gj83sbo8.png.
- If you find any posts and they already have an artist tag, use that tag. You will need to update the artist entry so that Danbooru will automatically detect the artist tag for future uploads. See Artist Entries to learn how to do this.
- If this search didn't turn up any posts, or you find posts but they don't have an artist tag, then you will have to make a new artist tag yourself. Edit the post and add artist:artist_name to the tags. See Artist Naming for advice on choosing a name. After making a new artist tag, you will also have to create an artist entry. See Artist Entries to learn how to do this.
The first choice is to use the artist's full real name, if you can find it. On the main profile under the artist's username, there should be a section that shows the artist's real name, gender, and location. The name should have both a first and a last name. If it's in non-English letters, follow Danbooru's romanization guidelines. Otherwise, check any personal websites or blogs they may list in their DeviantArt profile. See howto:artist for advice on finding the artist's name on their website.
The second choice is their DeviantArt username.
After creating a new artist tag, click the '?' next to the artist tag in the tag list to create a new artist entry. In the artist entry add:
- Any other account names, Twitter handles, or nicknames on other sites the artist lists in their profile.
- The DeviantArt profile URL: http://sampleartist.deviantart.com/
- URLs of any other websites the artist lists in their DeviantArt profile.
See the last section of howto:artist for more information about artist entries.