Tumblr is a social networking website that allows users to post multimedia and other content to a short blog. It is a popular source of images for Danbooru.
This page will describe how to upload from Tumblr, in addition to how to handle new artist entries in the case an entry doesn't already exist for the artist you're uploading a work from.
Uploading using either the bookmarklet or upload page will automatically retrieve the best image available. This way, you don't have to upload the image from your computer and risk it being an image sample. For more technical details, you may expand the following:
Tumblr has reduced-size versions of its images known as tumblr samples, none of which should be uploaded here. These samples may carry one of multiple available file name suffixes:
_500(sample; sometimes original, see forum #132817)
_1280(sample; sometimes original)
Where the original usually ends with:
In addition to these, any image that matches the following query is also a sample unless it has a r* (r1, r2, etc.) in the filename:
post #2568503 is not a sample, for example (note the r2).
Using the bookmarklet
This method is highly recommended!
1. Upload with the danbooru bookmarklet, or paste in the URL of the work you wish to upload in the upload page. If you wish to upload multiple images, use the batch bookmarklet.
2. Use the artist tag detected under Related Tags, if there is one. If there is none, you may refer to the rest of this article on how to choose an artist name and make an entry for them.
Using the uploads page
1. Copy the image URL into the Source box. The upload page will automatically retrieve the largest size available (typically
_raw), so you won't need to change it unless you wish to be extra careful. Just like above, the image URL for this post is this.
2. Tag your post and upload it.
3. Since the upload page will not correct the source for you as there is no referrer, you must remember to correct it yourself. Just like above, the source should point to the tumblr post and look something like this.
Before creating a new artist, search for an existing artist entry using the following steps:
1.. Search for the artist Tumblr homepage URL using the Danbooru Artists page. It should look something like this:
2. Using the same method, search for any other URL from the artist's Tumblr profile if available, or use SauceNAO or IQDB to see if any of artist's images turn up any hits for Danbooru. You may find there already exists an entry for the artist. If so, then add the artist's Tumblr URL to their artist entry and stop here. If not, follow the next step.
3. Create a new artist entry.