Obsessive Love (or Obsessive Love Disorder) is a condition where a character has been driven into insanity by an overwhelming obsessive desire to possess and protect another person, with an inability to accept failure or rejection. Depending on the intensity of their affection, obsessive lovers may feel entirely unable to restrain themselves from extreme behaviors such as acts of violence toward themselves or others.
In the anime and manga fandom, including danbooru, the term yandere (from yanderu, meaning mentally sick, and deredere, meaning lovestruck) is used to describe that character trait (and sometimes an over-dramatization of it). Usually, they are extremely brutal and do not hesitate to hurt and/or kill others in order to be with their beloved.
This tag is for characters who go insane by obsessive love. If the character in question is insane at their own, use crazy instead.
- Inability to tolerate any time spent without that person. (Your discretion to tag it if the character says so in the dialouge, since it is still a possibility)
- Obsessive fantasies surrounding the person. (yandere + imagining)
- Spending inordinate amounts of time seeking out, making, or looking at images of that person. (Currently no examples yet)
- Yuno Gasai from Future Diary, a well known example of aggression against anyone getting too close to her beloved.
- Kotonoha Katsura from School Days, an example of aggression towards a love interest.